Axle and Tire Issues

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
mrinfo

Re: Axle and Tire Issues

Post by mrinfo » September 15th, 2020, 1:17 am

Our 2015 Launch 24RLS had the same issue this year with the rear axle. Of course, it happens after the warranty period had expired and I had paid off the loan. Not overloaded, not mistreated, probably use about 2-3 weeks a year at this time, maybe 1000 miles a year (avg) on it.
Happy with our first travel trailer generally, just disappointed in long term quality.

Milepost56

Post by Milepost56 » October 13th, 2019, 1:58 pm

STARCRAFT claimed the trailer was overloaded. The label states empty trailer weight is 5280lbs with 822lbs load capacity. We weighed the trailer immediately after the rear axle and springs were replaced at 5400lbs even so overloading is not the issue. STARCRAFT warrantied the rear axle and springs but the dealer claims they had to eat the labor. We had to eat the cost of replacing the brand new but now bald tire. Now the front axle is doing the same but on the passenger side and we our 3 weeks past our warranty period so it should be interesting and I will keep you posted!!!!

srunkel

Post by srunkel » August 20th, 2019, 5:32 pm

I am having the same problem with my 2017 Launch 27bhu. I had the original tires replaced with Goodyear endurance. Wanted to get the china bombs off. I take one trip(2k miles) and now the driver side rear tire is bald. Tire shop says they did nothing wrong (even though they admitted to jacking it up by the equalizer, instead of the frame) and that it is just under built. Now mind you, they didn't even notice the bent axle and told me it was a hanger issue for the system. I took the camper to a trailer/welding place and they immediately said the axles are bent. Upon further review the axles are only rated for 3500lbs each. Now why would you put 3500lb axles on a trailer that has a GVWR of 7700 lbs. camper itself weighs around 6300lbs. Dealer is looking into getting them warrantied out. I'll keep you all posted.

71guzzi

Post by 71guzzi » August 15th, 2019, 11:09 am

My 2018 24RLS has the same problem, bent rear axle. Did you have any problems getting it warrantied? What did you do to get it fixed?
Thanks Ken

Spiderelly

Post by Spiderelly » June 30th, 2019, 7:01 pm

We are having the exact same problem with our 2019 Autumn Ridge. The tires have approx 3k miles on them and the exact same tire on the driver side is now showing steel. Like you, the trailer has not been overloaded and there have been no accidents.

I’m curious how it turned out for you. Was your trailer still under warranty? Ours certainly is and I also have Good Sam extended warranty. I’m on a mountain top in Wyoming right now but as soon as I get back to civilization I’ll be looking into repairs. Thanks for sharing your experience.

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » June 25th, 2019, 1:21 am

It's very sad. We live in an age when, if it is at all possible, blame gets deflected. No one wants to own up and pay when it's so easy to place blame elsewhere. I am so sorry you have to deal with that.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Milepost56

Post by Milepost56 » June 24th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Suspension manufacturer is claiming we overloaded the trailer which is crazy. There is only my wife and I and two dogs, we travel with no water or waste in any of the tanks and most compartments are almost empty. They are replacing one axle and installing 4 new springs but will not replace the new tire their defective axle caused to wear down. The RV dealer is going to install the new parts and claims they are going to eat the costs.
The manufacturers do not want to take responsibility when products fail due to poor craftsmanship or engineering, pretty sad!!!!

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » June 16th, 2019, 12:19 pm

I don’t have a dual axle trailer. I would probably take it to the shop if it had the problem you described and have it looked at. In my case, my shop is walking distance and they work on my three trucks, the wife’s car and both of my trailers. I am lucky to have an old country shop in my neighborhood .... good luck! Hope you find the problem. Report back, please!
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Milepost56

Post by Milepost56 » June 11th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Trailer is evenly loaded, no bumps to cause the axle to change position axle bearings are tight and proper. There is camber in several tires and when a straight edge is applied axles are noticeably out of alignment and offset. I have already checked all of that well before posting!

cattzap

Post by cattzap » June 10th, 2019, 8:28 pm

How do you have things loaded? Could that side be extremely overloaded? Do you remember hitting any curbs or bad holes? Have you looked at the axle mount bolts and have you checked the wheel bearings for looseness or failure?