Grease leak not covered by 2-Year Warranty

Discuss Autumn Ridge full-featured, yet affordable, travel trailers.
Tardis-1

Re: Grease leak not covered by 2-Year Warranty

Post by Tardis-1 » September 30th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Thoughts:

1) Knee jerk reaction by most manufactures to initially deny claims for some reason; maybe you’ll pay.

2) When is the maintenance for this area specified? For instance, if it should be done in 6 months and you waited a year, it would be beyond the specified maintenance interval, and it would be your responsibility, as you devoided them the opportunity to find it. (Doubt this is the case).

3) Related to 2, if you brought it in at the scheduled time, then grease should not leak into the brakes within that time, or you would have been required to maintenance-check that area sooner.

4) You state ‘grease leaked into the brakes’ - how? Past a seal? Then I would focus on a failure of a part (seal) to do its job, and that led to grease on the brakes.

Specifically, to wrap this all together, if Starcraft instructs you to have maintenance performed at the one-year mark, then all components should perform properly for at least that one-year. If a component fails before the maintenance period, how are you supposed to know, and what did you do to allow this damage to occur if you followed their schedule?

To wit, ask Starcraft, what did you not maintain, what schedule did you not follow, exactly what did YOU do to cause the issue? I expect they would have no quality answer. Sure, take it in after five years ignoring all the calls for yearly maintenance and find grease leaks, Starcraft would have a point. But not in this case, I would say.

This also assumes you had no external noticeable effect - noise, improper braking, or other clue that you ‘ignored’ that could have circumvented additional damage.

The dealership should be your advocate - they want to do the job and get paid, and the easiest way is for them to say, “Hey Starcraft, this was a failure of <insert part here> and it should not have failed, so the resulting damage and repair should be covered under warranty”.

BTW, I just noticed 'Starcraft' does not pass the spell checker. You figure a 'Starcraft' forum would have 'Starcraft' in its spell checker.
Dave

Papa/Nana/2grandchildren
2007 Ford Explorer (Dora)
2015 Launch 16RB (Tardis-1)

vez747

Grease leak not covered by 2-Year Warranty

Post by vez747 » September 30th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Hi,
After 1 year I brought in my trailer to the Starcraft dealership for its first maintenance and specified to repack the bearings and fix some other minor things.

Few days after dropping the trailer off, the dealership called to informed me that on 1 side the grease leaked into the brakes and it will cost around $1000 to fix all that!! The dealership called Starcraft and ask them to cover the cost under their 2-Year Limited Warranty and they said flat out NO, its a maintenance related problem and its not their problem :shock:

Seriously? :evil: I just brought my trailer in after 1 year for maintenance! Now the dealership asked me to call myself to see if Starcraft will be more comprehensive and honour their supposedly 2-Year Warranty :? I will call this morning and let you know the outcome of my phone call with Starcraft. So far I'm NOT impress by their service.

Any advice or past experience with this kind of issue?

Starcraft doesn't even have their Warranty up on their website, why :?: It says "For a copy of the limited warranty with full terms and conditions, ask your local Starcraft RV dealer."

Here are the details for my trailer:
Model: 289BHS Autumn Ridge
Year: 2015
Purchase date: 30 August 2015
Odometer: 7000 Km
1st Maintenance : 16 Sept 2016

Thanks, Yurick