AR 245DS - 2nd Battery?

Discuss Autumn Ridge full-featured, yet affordable, travel trailers.
GaryG

Re: AR 245DS - 2nd Battery?

Post by GaryG » March 11th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Zamp plug adaptor for the solar panel battery charging - I just plugged in the 15watt solar panel into my trailer and it worked fine. The Zamp plug adaptor, however, would not work, so I just plugged the solar panel directly into the controller and then into the trailer using the exterior Zamp plugin on the side of the trailer and it worked fine.

When I plugged the solar panel into the trailer, using the Zamp adaptor plug, the controller light went out. The light on the controller lets you know that the controller is getting power from the solar panel. I'm a bit confused why Zamp recommended the reverse polarity adapter wire? Any ideas about this?
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

GaryG

Post by GaryG » March 10th, 2017, 1:16 pm

I did go ahead and purchase a small non-Zamp 15watt solar panel/charging system. Hope to use it during our first trip this year on spring break. We will be boondocking for a couple of nites and will need the batteries recharged. I did post about it a few days back.

One thing to remember about the Zamp solar systems and trailers that are pre- wired for Zamp is that the plug-in on the outside of the trailer is reverse polarity! I read much about it and viewed a helpful Youtube video about it. I did purchased the small adapter that reverses the wires from a non-Zamp solar panel charging system.

I have attached the You Tube video link that explains this and the link to the company where I purchased the adapter cord that reverses the polarity for non-Zamp solar panels.

http://www.solardealz.com/Sidewall-Port ... c-adpt.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1V3OM-Z6Z8

Hope this clears up some of the confusion, it certainly did for me.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » December 22nd, 2016, 1:18 am

I had all the same questions about the Zamp Solar panel & equipment. Still thinking about the cost vs. how often I might use it since most of our camping is at full service sites. This is why I'm still only thinking about a generator. Thanks for the post about the solar equipment options.

Wiseguy

Post by Wiseguy » December 20th, 2016, 3:53 pm

This: "one controller blew out when i had a GFI plug activate ... 12v and 120 vac shares ground on a trailer and the ground fault proved costly." is worth something in the old tip jar. Thanks for your advice and opinion!

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » December 20th, 2016, 4:26 am

First the batteries ... I cosidered adding a second and to do so, i knew the rails would need to be on top of the tongue to accomodate the width ... I chose, instead to increase the efficiency of the 12v systems.

Second, the solar. Yep, i grappled with the same issue ... cost justification. Someone may want to disagree with me, but, i know, factually,that most of the items sold by american companies are oem from asian manufacturers. I have no idea about the Zamp system ... i bought a solar system for about 225.00 that does exactly what i wanted done. It recharges my battery in just a few hours on a sunny day and in a day on a cloudy day. one controller blew out when i had a GFI plug activate ... 12v and 120 vac shares ground on a trailer and the ground fault proved costly. I am disconnectind the solar controller when connected to shore power.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Wiseguy

AR 245DS - 2nd Battery?

Post by Wiseguy » December 19th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Good morning all. I have a new '17 245DS that I'd like to modify and while I'm researching my answers I thought I'd throw them out here for everyone to chime in on if you've already resolved yourself or seen a resolution. Here goes:

1. The 245DS came with only one battery box up front on the hitch. I'd like to throw a 2nd box up there to hook up parallel to the first one. The problem is the narrow end of the hitch (minus the currently installed cables) give me about 24" max width (barely, if that) to set a 2nd box on. The battery boxes that I'm seeing out there (with vented hoods) require about 13" width each. Anyone find a combo of them that might fit in the space up front?

2. I'm having a hard time justifying the price being asked for the Zamp solar kit. For the Zamp 120W kit I'm seeing them go for $600-650 vs. $240 for the Eco-Worthy. Granted the Eco's have some issues with the legs not being sturdy and the charge controllers not giving you any options, but I'm willing to live with that for $400. The real question here is this: is the Zamp side port is just a quick-connect to the battery? Or is there something special about it? Is it just a ready to use / easy to use plug that lets you not having to go in to the battery box? Or are there more benefits with the Zamp system that justifies the much higher price?