Initial Experience and Quality

Discuss Autumn Ridge full-featured, yet affordable, travel trailers.
scottenj

Re: Initial Experience and Quality

Post by scottenj » June 23rd, 2015, 1:33 am

I totally agree fixing stuff is on the dealer and I have had similar experiences. At one point I gave them my unit for "two weeks', at the end of two weeks nothing was fixed. I gave them a second two weeks, at the end they said everything was fixed except for two things when in fact they had only fixed one thing and over a dozen were still unaddressed.

I am also pretty handy at fixing stuff, I have actually bought two utility trailers and fitted them out myself before buying a camper but I am trying to hold off on fixing things while it is still under warranty.

tslarson

Post by tslarson » June 20th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Interesting, I had exactly 18 items on my list too! Starcraft can do better, but so can all the other manufactures. I have had similar experiences with the other 2 trailers i owned from different manufactures, so it is not a Starcraft only thing. My trailer spent a total of 8 weeks at the dealer last fall and this spring. They were so slow last fall and fixed almost nothing after 5 weeks it was pitiful. They asked for that specific time as they would have more time to devote to getting it done. I had to involve the factory and schedule the work with the dealer so all the work could get done in 3 weeks this spring. Still the day I picked it up they seemed to do the most work, all minor things except two, but they were not able to competently complete them so they would stay fixed long term. My back-splash is falling off in about 4 places. The dealer has attempted to fix it 3 times now. Last time is said I want an entirely new back-splash installed. So what did I get? A guy trying to reattach it again as I was picking up the trailer. Getting stuff fixed is all on the dealer, I rate my a "D" right now. I am very competent in doing my repairs but many are not. I have re-fixed about half the things off the list I gave the dealer, with a few more to go.
2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4

pawpaw

Post by pawpaw » June 20th, 2015, 11:53 am

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many issues. I guess we're really lucky, we've had no problems at all with our 329BHU other than the owner induced one (see my previous post about ripping off the rear ladder and ruining the roof) and a bad stabilizer jack. We've pulled it over 1,300 miles so far this year. Ours is also fairly heavy showing 8,414 lbs. on the sticker. I figured that was reasonable with all the extra options it had on it: convenience pkge, show stopper pkge, 2nd A/C in the bedroom, Artic pkge, hide-a-bed, and solid counter tops. I also added a 50 amp hard wired surge protector, and a few other small items to it.
Ours is 2015 model that we purchased on 12/31/14 from the Camping Word in the Houston, TX area. Of course replacing the jack was a no brainer, but replacing the entire roof had me a bit nervous. They did an outstanding job! I was a bit nervous about buying the unit from them because of all the bad reviews their service department had, but they have proven to be a solid dealer with a knowledgeable service dept.
I agree with you about the power inlet location - what were they thinking? I'm trying to figure out how to make a little shield to divert any leaked water around the power inlet.
I hope your unit gets sorted out soon so you can start enjoying it. Best of luck!
PawPaw
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

scottenj

Initial Experience and Quality

Post by scottenj » June 19th, 2015, 9:46 pm

I got a new 329BHU at the beginning of March and it has had a lot of problems. I am curious what experience others have had with their Autumn Ridges

Specifically:

1) My unit weighs 8,400 pounds versus the brochure weight of 7,745. I did add a few options but less than 100 pounds. I called Starcraft and they went over my options with me and agreed it would be less than 100 pounds. I suggested that the only explanation I could think of is that the brochure weight does not include the two mandatory option packages. The guy I spoke to (warranty manager?) said no way they would do that but at some point in the conversation someone overheard him and told him that is what they do. So basically the brochure weight is for a unit you can't actually buy. The issue is now my unit can only carry 655 pound less cargo than I expected and capacity is very important to me. Also the brochure tongue weight is 800 pounds but my unit measures 1,150 and that is a lot more load on my truck and less people and cargo I can carry in my truck when towing.
2) The bunkhouse slide out didn't work at all - it took over two months to get fixed.
3) The heat doesn't control temperature and the AC won't come on at all - now fixed.
4) There is loose seem tape under the table in the bunk house - now fixed.
5) There is a cut on the "pleather' trim piece on the front of the tilt up bunk - Starcraft sent the wrong piece twice, still waiting for the third.
6) There is glue residue outside the bathroom - fixed.
7) The wall covering on the access panel under the thermostat has a tear in it - fixed.
8) There is a glue line along the back of the dinette seat - fixed.
9) The bottom of the wall panel on the right side of the main slide out is loose - fixed.
10) The back splash behind the sink is bubbled - the backsplash is around 4' long and needs to be completely redone. Starcraft only supplied a 1' x 1' "patch". The dealer and I both agree the patch will be worse so we have done nothing.
11) The counter under the TV has the trim sticking out on one corner - I fixed this.
12) The brackets for the kitchen counter extensions are misaligned and you can't attach it - fixed.
13) The strainers for the bathroom and outdoor kitchen sink are missing - on order.
14) The screw heads are sheared off on several clamps under the unit including all the clamps for the propane line. Since the screw heads are above the line this is clearly due to someone at the factory over tightening them - I fixed this because I found it right before a trip and was afraid to tow the unit with the propane line hanging down underneath.
15) The grey water holding tank has a black handle and the black water holding tank has a grey handle - not addressed yet.
16) The "cork" board when you first enter the unit has a hard backing so that you can't actually stick a pin in it (the cork is very thin) _ I guess this is just the way it is designed.
17) The master bed headboard mounting screws are grossly misaligned - fixed.
18) One of the tilt up bunk latching holes doesn't line up with the latch pin - fixed.

There is also a design issue that I personally think is very dangerous. The power inlet is a few inches below the water inlet and right next to the outdoor shower.

I have now owned the unit for 17 weeks and it has spent 7 weeks at Camping World of New Hampshire for repairs. Camping World has been hard to deal with and at one point claimed everything was fixed when they had only fixed one thing. I also have fixed a couple of things myself as noted above.

My hope at this point is that once these things are all fixed it will be a solid unit but no matter what I will have to live with the lower than expected capacity and higher load on my truck.