Water heater/pump question

Discuss Autumn Ridge full-featured, yet affordable, travel trailers.
SlickOps19

Re: Water heater/pump question

Post by SlickOps19 » May 23rd, 2018, 1:48 am

Thanks for all the tips and help! Ended up being a disconnect on the city water supply side, so at least my brand new trailer wasn’t malfunctioning.

Side note: with city supply connected and properly selected, with water pump switched on, the pump did engage and drain my fresh tank. Apparently if the city supply doesn’t provide enough pressure (or it gets shut off for any reason), the pump (when switched on) will automatically engage and keep water flowing from the fresh tank to water heater and appliances. Good to know.

I’ll keep the fresh tank full from now on as a precaution, but I don’t plan on leaving the pump or water heater switched on full time like the dealer suggested.

Thanks again!
GaryG wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 2:56 am
After reading your posts I keep wondering if you still have the water pump on? Your fresh water tank can only be drained by either running the pump that supplies water to all faucets and outlets or a fresh water tank drain valve under your trailer was left open or partially open.

Please check to see how much water is coming out of the city water spickit or connection before hooking it up to your trailer. If you have a pressure check valve on it, is it clogged? Have you checked the presser on it? Do you have water coming out of your outside shower?

I'm trying visualize your problem. Hope this helps. Another thing I just thought of, check the screens in your faucets and shower heads. Mine acted like this after it was un-winterized. The faucet screens were all clogged! A tiny thing that creates a big problem. Hope this helps.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » May 22nd, 2018, 2:56 am

After reading your posts I keep wondering if you still have the water pump on? Your fresh water tank can only be drained by either running the pump that supplies water to all faucets and outlets or a fresh water tank drain valve under your trailer was left open or partially open.

Please check to see how much water is coming out of the city water spickit or connection before hooking it up to your trailer. If you have a pressure check valve on it, is it clogged? Have you checked the presser on it? Do you have water coming out of your outside shower?

I'm trying visualize your problem. Hope this helps. Another thing I just thought of, check the screens in your faucets and shower heads. Mine acted like this after it was un-winterized. The faucet screens were all clogged! A tiny thing that creates a big problem. Hope this helps.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

cattzap

Post by cattzap » May 18th, 2018, 12:04 pm

I don't know what you have as far as valves. Plain jane trailers just have water heater bypass valves. Unless your has more, that may be another story. But usually when you have city water you just leave the pump off and use the city water.

SlickOps19

Post by SlickOps19 » May 17th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Would there be any reason why the fresh water tank level would lower when connected to the city supply? I have zero leaks, yet the fresh tank is emptying when I use the sinks and shower. It’s almost like the city supply isn’t supplying water to the appliances when the lever is in that position, but that makes no sense since the same water source fills my fresh water tank without any issues.

With the pump off and the lever set to city supply, the water barely trickles out of the appliances. Is it possible I have a valve shut somewhere that shouldn’t be shut?
cattzap wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 7:13 pm
You only need the water pump on when you don't have access to a city water supply. You want to make sure that you have plenty of water in the fresh tank.

cattzap

Post by cattzap » May 17th, 2018, 7:13 pm

You only need the water pump on when you don't have access to a city water supply. You want to make sure that you have plenty of water in the fresh tank.

SlickOps19

Post by SlickOps19 » May 17th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Ok thanks! The salesman at the dealer told me I should leave the water heater on whenever I’m connected to electricity, but I’ll take your advice and just flip it on whenever im preparing to use hot water. So I’m safe to leave the electric water heater off during the day, and never flip the inside switch for the water pump on unless I’m not connected to the city supply. Does the same rule apply to the water pump switch that’s located right next to the water hose inlet (it’s also a red, illuminated rocker switch, much like the one inside on the control panel)?
cattzap wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 5:24 pm
You only need the water pump on when you are using water and NOT connected to the city supply. The city supply will not refill the water tank. Also, leaving the water heater on unattended is a bad idea. There's no reason to be heating the water unless your using it. and if there is ever a reason the water supply is off it could be bad on the heater. Also, don't leave the city water supply on when your not there. The hose can be left connected, but if something started leaking, it's going to leak a lot and do alot of damage by the time you get back to it.

cattzap

Post by cattzap » May 17th, 2018, 5:24 pm

You only need the water pump on when you are using water and NOT connected to the city supply. The city supply will not refill the water tank. Also, leaving the water heater on unattended is a bad idea. There's no reason to be heating the water unless your using it. and if there is ever a reason the water supply is off it could be bad on the heater. Also, don't leave the city water supply on when your not there. The hose can be left connected, but if something started leaking, it's going to leak a lot and do alot of damage by the time you get back to it.

SlickOps19

Water heater/pump question

Post by SlickOps19 » May 17th, 2018, 4:21 pm

My AR trailer is hooked up to a city water supply at the shop yard I work at. It’s home away from home when I’m on call for work. I have a hose hooked up from the water source to the trailer, the valve is in the “city” position, the water pump switch next to the water inlet is in the “on” position, and I typically leave my electric water heater switch in the “on” position. My question is, is this the correct/optimal configuration since I’m operating off of a city supple and not the fresh water tank? In this situation, will I still see the level drop in my fresh water tank with regular use? Do I ever need to have the water pump switch on my inside control panel in the “on” position, or is that unnecessary?

Thanks in advance for your advice and tips!