Second AC Question

Discuss Autumn Ridge full-featured, yet affordable, travel trailers.
cattzap

Re: Second AC Question

Post by cattzap » June 10th, 2019, 2:24 pm

On my outing this weekend that I just got back from, it was the first one after I made some reflectix panels that covered the windows. I didn't mount them permanent, the blinds hold them in place. What a huge impact that made. Now I have no need to think about adding a second AC. I got a roll at Lowes for about $20. Well worth it.

Route 66 Traveler

Post by Route 66 Traveler » June 6th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. The way my trailer is designed it isn't possible to install a second AC in the center because that is where the ducting is from the central air. I have the blueprint drawings from Starcraft that show the framework for the AC being along the right edge of the roof.

I would just like to see photos that show a similar installation.

After watching the video that I posted about improving your AC and making similar repairs my AC has improved immensely. Yesterday the temps here reached 102 degrees. I have a weather station inside my RV that records the highest and lowest temperatures. The inside temp remained at the set temperature all day...72 degrees! It was actually a bit cold when I entered the trailer. I think my AC problem is solved!

cattzap

Post by cattzap » May 30th, 2019, 2:19 pm

You need a giant xray machine to see its skeleton.

If it were me, I would mount it in the center. You can find the ceiling studs from above with a quick walk on. You'll know quick were they are. You'll probably find they match where panel joints are and lines of staples are. I'd make a square with one side at the edge of a rafter and work from there.

One thing I did to a previous TT. The antenna leaked. I caught it before it ruined the ceiling. I carefully removed a full panel, one staple at a time, made my repairs and carefuly stapled it back up. You could not notice after it was done. You can do that with the ceiling in the area you suspect the location to be. Take your time, be very careful. You'll see fast how it's framed once that is down.

Route 66 Traveler

Post by Route 66 Traveler » May 21st, 2019, 1:29 pm

Thank you, I am aware of that fact, but in my trailer there is no vent in the bedroom. The drawings I received from Starcraft, actually Jayco, shows that the roof was reinforced for a second air 10 inches from the right edge of the trailer. The ducting for the current AC is in the center of the bedroom, about where a vent would be located if one was installed.

I found this YouTube video yesterday. It shows how the divider in the AC unit is prone to misalignment causing poor operation. I checked mine yesterday and found my divider was worse than the one in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCljBV ... e=youtu.be

cattzap

Post by cattzap » May 20th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Most ac units sit over existing roof vents. That's why they make the openings all the same.

Route 66 Traveler

Second AC Question

Post by Route 66 Traveler » May 19th, 2019, 4:35 pm

I have a 2017 266RKS with 50 Amp service. It is wired for a second AC, but none is installed. I recently wrote to Starcraft asking if my roof was reinforced for a second AC and they replied yes it was and included the framing drawings. Turns out the location is shown to be 10 inched from the right edge of the roof in the bedroom and not in the center as I had expected. So my question is does anyone have an Autumn Ridge with 2 AC's? Where is your second AC unit mounted? I would also like to see photos if possible.

I should note this is my first post on the Forum have just found it due to a current member posting on the Jayco Forum in the Starcraft sub forum. Just found it after owning my Autumn Ridge for 2 years.