Broken Bed 4th time out with new trailer

Discuss Autumn Ridge full-featured, yet affordable, travel trailers.
Roof778

Re: Broken Bed 4th time out with new trailer

Post by Roof778 » September 26th, 2019, 11:40 am

We just bought our camper took it out and on our 3 rd trip the bed completely shredded .
We had to rebuild the whole bed . The storage compartment with the gas shocks lifting the the bed to get to it just wasn’t a great design.

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » June 16th, 2019, 4:29 pm

This is a really good idea to take a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrg_pLfl3yY
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » June 16th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Gas shocks and thin pine wood .... that’s a mod that needs doing. Even aluminum, over time will stress apart under the duress of gas shocks. Use some pretty thick (3/16) aluminum angle to beef up the connection to the wood frame and even use a couple three feet to spread out the load and you’ll be happier.

There are probably some tutorials on youtube ....
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

cattzap

Post by cattzap » June 11th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I passed on that style while looking for my little TT. I've seen some other post go by and if I recall, the dealer just put bigger screws into the blown out holes and it happened again so the owner added some aluminum backup metal somehow.

GrnMtnSoul

Broken Bed 4th time out with new trailer

Post by GrnMtnSoul » June 10th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Have a little 18' Autumn Ridge we took out this past weekend, had to cut it short by a day. We came in to prepare dinner and the bed was creaking and making noise. On inspection, we found the gas shocks that hold the bed up had pushed the framework out when it was down. Anyone else experience such a thing? I've yet to see what they service center can do, but the framework is not put together well nor adequate for the stress has to endure with the pressure from the gas shocks. A friends kids had a Jayco that I'm told did the same thing. If they can't beef it up, I will use some aluminum angle iron to beef it up. Other than this, it has been a joy to pull and get into tight provisional camp spots we enjoy here in Southern Oregon.