WATER COMING IN CENTER OF FRONT WALL

Discuss Autumn Ridge full-featured, yet affordable, travel trailers.
Gourdeau

Re: WATER COMING IN CENTER OF FRONT WALL

Post by Gourdeau » June 24th, 2019, 10:04 am

Thank you for your advice. I did apply ProFlex clear on the lower seam. Once I get home, I will also do the upper one, near the roof line.
As for your question, yes this was the first time and it was also the first drive in such heavy rain. We are campers living on the EastCoast of Canada - and presently at a beautiful spot on Prince Edward Island. The downside is........... we get fair amount of rain!

Again, thanks and happy trails.

Steve

kuba122

Re: WATER COMING IN CENTER OF FRONT WALL

Post by kuba122 » June 23rd, 2019, 5:32 pm

Absolutely. There are two phenomena involved. Wind and Rain. You state you drove 4 hours in heavy rain .... I would assume that means at speeds of 40+ MPH. The trailers are designed so that the highway wind goes up and over. That heavy rain is also being forced up right into the seam you are talking about. If one gets a hose and points forced water at a weatherstripped door, you can bet your bottom dollar that some water will be forced through that weatherstripping.

My question would clearly be, does it leak in just a downpour, or was it only this time? You might try to caulk that seam, but, I doubt caulk will last very long because of the stresses involved with the winds at speed .....

I have been caught once or twice driving in the rain, although, I do try to avoid driving with a trailer in rain whenever I can.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Gourdeau

WATER COMING IN CENTER OF FRONT WALL

Post by Gourdeau » June 23rd, 2019, 1:11 pm

I have a 2018 AutumnRidge 291 BHU. This past weekend, we travelled 4 hours in heavy rain to our campsite. That night, the rain continued to be heavy. As I was getting ready for bed, I noticed that my bed mattress was wet at the top, closest to the outside front wall. Then I saw that some water was coming in just at the seam in the inside wall (has a thin molding on it) that runs from left to right, a few inches above the head of the mattress. When I measure, it seems to correspond to the same hight as where the lowest seam is on the front wall, outside the trailer where 2 pieces of aluminum join up, the upper piece over the lower piece. I checked all my joints on the roof and all around the front of the trailer. All are in perfect condition. Could the water be coming in under that lip at the lowest aluminum seam on the front wall?

Looking forward to input please.

Steve