Added rear step light

Discuss Autumn Ridge full-featured, yet affordable, travel trailers.
tslarson

Re: Added rear step light

Post by tslarson » September 4th, 2015, 2:45 am

Wow, I've been thinking about those mods all summer. You beat me to it. I must be slacking!!!!!!
2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4

jcarlilesiu

Re: Added rear step light

Post by jcarlilesiu » September 2nd, 2015, 9:09 pm

Great mod.

Yeah, they should have definitely put a stair light at both entrances.

We camped with a friend last weekend that has the LED awning lights, and I agree they are way to cold and bright.

Glad it all worked out.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

pawpaw

Added rear step light

Post by pawpaw » September 2nd, 2015, 11:47 am

I added a flush mount light to the rear step on our TT. I don't know why the factory didn't put one there in the first place.
I ran a wire from the new light along the frame rail to the light on the front stair and tied it in so it would be on the same switch. Now, I want to take the step lights off the circuit that the under awning LED light is on, and install a separate switch for them so they can be turned on independently of the awning light. I have a dimmer ordered for the LED light and will install it when it arrives.
Here's the light I used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNE ... ge_o01_s00

The only problem I ran into was trying to get the front step light off so I could get to the wiring. Thanks to the replies on my earlier post "Torx T20 8 point, need help" I learned that the tool needed to get the screws out was a #2 square bit. It fit and worked perfectly.

Now, our guests using the rear door to the bathroom when it's dark can see the steps when we don't have the awning light on. It's so bright we don't use it very often. We would rather the warm glow of a campfire to the bright LED light. I also turn the clearance lights on our TT on by jumping two pins on the shore power cord.

We will start preparing soon for our trip next month to the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, the Grand Canyon and other spots in AZ, Vegas to visit friends, Utah to see the Mighty 5 Parks and the Snake River area in ID. We'll be gone for a month or so.

Happy travels!

Pawpaw
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX