GVWR - Applicable only while towing or also while parked?

Discuss the Travel Star line of trailers, everything you have ever wanted.
kuba122

Re: GVWR - Applicable only while towing or also while parked?

Post by kuba122 » May 11th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Awesome! I started to provide an opinion, but, being unsure .... decided to wait! Thank you for following up!
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

campchef

Re: GVWR - Applicable only while towing or also while parked?

Post by campchef » May 11th, 2018, 5:33 pm

The Starcraft rep. got back to me after speaking with an engineer. The GVWR is only applicable when the trailer is being pulled. When it is parked the other specs (bunk rating, number of people, etc) can be used as a guide.

campchef

GVWR - Applicable only while towing or also while parked?

Post by campchef » May 9th, 2018, 8:24 pm

I recently purchased a 187TB and admittedly didn't pay much attention to the GVRW rating. However, after reading something that said this rating should NEVER be exceeded I thought I would reach out to Starcraft for clarification, i.e., does it only apply when towing? According to the customer support rep. that responded to my inquiry, it should never be exceeded, even when parked/in use.

The dry weight is 3830lbs and the GVWR is 4475lbs, which leaves only 645lb for cargo, people, etc. An average adult weighs 137lbs, which means if the support rep is correct this camper can only sleep 4-5 adults with minimal/no gear or water. What's also confusing is that the fold down beds are advertised as being able to hold 1100lbs, which wouldn't be possible if the camper can only hold an additional 645lbs...

Am I thinking about this way too much, or can I really only have 4-5 adults in my camper?