Larger Tires / Rims

Discuss entry level campers offer a host of amenities at a low cost and are easily towed.
shemphill

Re: Larger Tires / Rims

Post by shemphill » August 24th, 2017, 7:09 pm

How is this going BeachCamper? We just bought a 24RLS and want a little more ground clearance.
'03 2500 Cummins Crew Cab
'17 Launch 24RLS

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » January 12th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Thanks for the reply ,
That convinced me , I'm putting Texas Visit on my Bucket List ! You should give it a shot . Air em down , keep moving , avoid sharp turns and GO For It . Hey it depends on the sand too . You are there , so if it's a hard time with Just the truck , might be a pain in the butt with the trailer . Even with the the ones here, they are all different .
I always have a hard time trying to look up other places where they actually allow this . We have 3 here , 4 if you count the one that has the small campsite in the Small dunes , which for the size of Suffolk county I consider pretty lucky .
Thanks again
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2Dr / Stubby
2016 AR-One 15RB

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » January 12th, 2017, 6:00 pm

There are several baeches in texas that allow camping and trailers. At leat one location on every outer island ... south padre anywhere north of beach entry 6 ... boca chica ... padre island anywhere within the national seashore ... galveston island west of galveston and the island east of galveston reached by ferry or driving from the north. I drive on the beach all the time when we go to the coast, I haven't ever pulled the trailer ... just afraid of getting stuck.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » January 12th, 2017, 2:45 pm

kuba122 , I have to ask , are there any beaches anywhere there that allow Travel Trailers and camping ?
2016 AR-One 15RB

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » January 11th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Brave ... Insane , take your pick ! The Outer Beaches are Certainly Different !
I will tell you , we are probably the Smallest Trailer out there . Our needs / Finance / available time / ease of use etc , has always kept us small . Insanely small in both trailers and tow vehicles for that matter , but it seems everyone wants to go Bigger !! As far as the axle flip , it's a pretty common thing for the beach here . I can only speak for myself , but through the years , I have never seen any real difference in trailer handling . Another reason to love the Smaller / Lighter Trailers .Of course our travels are very limited compared to most . In my case I guess I am the opposite with light trailer / Short Highway trips and airing down at the beach , I would not want to go to stiffer on the sidewalls , We have not had a problem with this latest trailer as far as ground clearance , although , as you know , the main drain is pretty low . My biggest complaint is with the way we have to back into the dunes , using a portable waste tank requires me to dig what looks like a grave , to allow the tank to be lower than the drain :D !
Last edited by BeachCamper on January 11th, 2017, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 AR-One 15RB

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » January 11th, 2017, 1:52 am

I thought long about putting 15 inch rims/tires on mine. The factory 6 plys worried me.

I was thinking axle below the spring, maybe a shim or 2. I found a 14 inch 8 ply and used that instead.

I never got brave enough to tow on the beach ... one of these days.

Welcome to the forum!
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

GaryG

Post by GaryG » January 10th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Looks like fun and a great photo. I have no experience with larger wheels/tires for my trailer but just wanted to say thanks for posting and for a great picture of your TT.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

BeachCamper

Larger Tires / Rims

Post by BeachCamper » January 10th, 2017, 11:24 pm

beach trailer smaller.jpg
beach trailer smaller.jpg (128.41 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
Hello all ,
New here , so probably will do this wrong but here goes ...
We purchased a 15RB last year for use on the Outer Beaches of Long Island . Love the trailer ( well aside from a fridge issue , but that's a different subject for a different time ) , My question is has anyone gone to a larger Rim / Tire Combination on this or one like it ? I know the extreme package comes with the larger 15 in Rim / Tires , and I was wondering if these are a simple swap . An axle flip , the same as Starcraft does on the Extreme , will be done , so clearance would not be a problem . Just thought I would see about the Starcraft rims / tires used first . If not I can always match-up the Bolt pattern / offset and probably have a choice :D
Thanks
Last edited by BeachCamper on January 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 AR-One 15RB