Pop Up camper replacement tires

A forum to discuss tow vehicles and towing related issues.
cattzap

Re: Pop Up camper replacement tires

Post by cattzap » May 28th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Back when we had ours.....I think they wrote that in there to get stiffer sidewall tires to help with sway. Today, without some sort of special order, I'm not sure that you can even get a bias tire unless it's giant truck tire. If it were me, i would step up the load rating as high as you can without having to replace the rims. I haven't shopped for a D rated tire in a 13 inch rim. Like this quick search

https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-whee ... 2yEALw_wcB

Another thing that I would do. Have bolt in steel stems installed. On ours, the tires were pretty much even with the side of the camper. Someone accidentally stepped on the edge of a tire and the stem was down and they folded the stem over just enough to tear it and psssssssssss. What's that sound. It'll cost a few bucks more but well worth it.

condon56

Pop Up camper replacement tires

Post by condon56 » May 21st, 2018, 4:40 pm

Hi,
I have a 1991 Starcraft NOVA pop up camper. The tire size for replacement is 175-80-13. The owners manual says "Do Not use radial tires as they will not mate properly with the rims".

I have looked at both bias ply and radial tires and the radial tires look more substantial, although the width of the radial looks to be wider than the bias ply tire. The tire guys I have talked to do not understand why the owners manual restricts the use of radial tires. I am reluctant to go against the owners manual. Any experience with this?

Thank you